AAT – the Association of Accounting Technicians – is a professional membership body that specialises in practical finance and accounting courses. Janice McKee, AAT’s Head of Communications, approached us to conduct copywriting training across their brand communications, PR, content, events and design teams.
The overarching challenge was to help the wider team change the way they approached copywriting, ensuring that they considered the target audience and intended action, even when drafting an internal communication. More specific goals for each team within the communications department included
- Brand communications – Strategies for ensuring messaging remained original and finding a balance between speaking with authority and pushing brand boundaries, as well as tips and tricks for effective proof reading
- PR – How to write attention grabbing copy, as well as copywriting for formats other than press releases
- Content – Exploring persuasive copywriting, matching content creating and user intent and how to create scannable copy
- Events – Conveying factual information succinctly using consistent business language
- Design – How to write for visual metaphors or narratives to give the design team a steer, as well as creative thinking for titles, especially for direct mails and brochure covers
We developed a full-day bespoke training course to address the AAT’s objectives, with a combination of presentation and interactive activities using examples drawn from their existing marketing.
30 AAT staff from across the communications team attended the training day. There was universally positive feedback from attendees, with comments such as:
“Of all the copywriting training I’ve done, this was the most relevant and enjoyable.”
"Thank you so much for our copywriting training day yesterday – you did a brilliant job. In fact, several team members have told me it’s the best training they’ve ever had. This is in no small part due to your thorough preparation – using examples of content from our own website and social channels. The pace was perfect, the tools you provided for the team were really practical, and I’m looking forward to seeing some great copy from them in the coming weeks and months."
Janice McKee, Head of Communications, AAT